This thought kind of follows on from this one, where I question the reliability of asking yourself to think back to when you were at your happiest. While I still think it’s near impossible to answer this question – and indeed find your purpose in life – I do think there are some questions you can ask that will help you on your way.
This list of seven strange questions from Mark Manson is particularly interesting.
I especially like questions #2, #3, #4, #6, and #7…
- What is true about you today that would make your eight year-old self cry?
- What makes you forget to eat and poop?
- How can you better embarrass yourself? (This one needs some explaining, so read the article by Mark).
- If you had to leave the house all day every day, where would you go and what would you do?
- If you knew you were going to die one year from today, what would you do and how would you want to be remembered?
Probably still not going to give you reliable answers – because your thoughts will always be coloured by recent experiences – but an interesting exercise in navel gazing nonetheless!