Variants of this list have been posted a hundred times before across the net, but never on my blog – so here goes, this is my list of classic excuses software developers feed to testers.
- It works on my machine.
- You’re feeding in the wrong data.
- I haven’t touched that code.
- You must be running the wrong version.
- Have you reinstalled and tried again?
- The server might need rebooting.
- It could be a hardware problem.
- It worked when I unit tested it.
- It’s never done that before.
- Someone else must have changed it.
I come across new excuses all the time, so consider this post a light-hearted work-in-progress.
Of course, testers also have a list of standard excuses, but that’s for another post.